Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Response to "Video Killed the Radio Star" by Buggles and its parody "Digital Life"

In "Video Killed the Radio Star", Buggles felt that a new era was coming and overtaking the radio. There was a new way for people to enjoy music - with a visual aspect. 
     Music videos were the new trend artists had to follow, or else they would be left behind. Popular music was no longer something you just listened to, everyone knew the faces of the musicians. This left the artists in a very vulnerable position; they not only had to have a beautiful voice, but a charming face as well. Let's face it, how would you react if you suddenly found out your favourite music artist was a 70-year-old, disfigured, double-chinned man? Sure you may be a loyal fan who doesn't mind his appearance, but I'm sure there are some who are repulsed by knowing this truth.This is how I interpreted this song, as in the title "Video Killed the Radio Star", video ruined the radio stars who just were not blessed with what our society considers a 'pretty' face.
     Nowadays, I believe producers and talent agencies are reversing their priorities when they look for possible singers. They always look for stunning appearance before actually considering the voice.
I realized this when I was chatting about K-pop groups with my friend. He explained to me that the all-girl group T-ara had many pretty girls, but the singing was terrible compared to other groups in his opinion. This caught my attention, and when you think about it, there aren't really any 'ugly' singers. I guess they just spend more money and time than ordinary people (because they can afford it) to have clear skin and such. Music today really is not just the audio portion anymore, the artist as a person as well.

 T-ara is still popular and awesome in my opinion (everyone has different opinions!!).

 *P.S. "Video Killed the Radio Star" was the first video to air on MTV.

In "Digital Life", it tells us how after technology began, it has changed us and become a part of our daily lives. Specifically, the internet/social networking.
     The internet is such a convenient tool we use every single day to connect to faraway family, friends you are too lazy to go visit, and the whole wide world (www... not, it means world wide web). I'm sure everyone will agree that they have googled something, sent an e-mail, and maybe even posted a status on facebook before. This is true for myself, and probably most of my generation of people. All my friends have an e-mail account (if not multiple), facebook profile, and other assortments of online databases.
     I have become so accustomed to using the computer in general, but on the other hand, my mom always asks me to help her out. You can really tell the difference of how we depend on the internet today. My mom grew up in an old little neighbour hood in China with no technology at all. Now that computers, television, phones, and such are seen everywhere, the way we do some simple actions in life have changed. For example, my mom showed me how she made bread growing up, all from scratch with a wooden spoon. Now, just last month we bought her a bread machine because she hasn't had much time to bake. As time goes on, and our technology develops, we get used to it (whether you want to or not).

The internet and our digital community are quickly developing, just as how simple radio music has developed to music videos, and now livestreams, podcasts, and more!!

3 comments:

  1. I like how you used examples from recent events that happened to you to relate to the videos. I would have preferred if you didn't use brackets for the part near the end, where you say "whether you want to or not." It can very well be apart of the sentence. I also like how you used you experiences to connect with people who may have had the same experiences that you had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I forgot to mention earlier, I really like how you used a video to support your thinking and example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was wonderful how you included all three types of connections in your response (text to self, text to world, text to text). You backed up your points with events in your life and events occurring in the world. A suggestion I would like to make is that maybe you could try to add in a few more points about your interpretation of the video “Digital Life” (how it has changed us). Finally, I would like to say that your paragraphs are structured very well – each main idea is in a new paragraph with supporting details.

    ReplyDelete