Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Response to "Digital Life"

The song “Digital Life” describes how technology has changed the world and the people in it. However, in my opinion, the message only applies to people who have lived through that advancement. Teenagers, including me, were not even born when the Internet was invented (in 1992). In my opinion, we were born into this technology; technology is part of us. Digital life did not change who we are, it is who we are. It was there since we were born and it had shaped us. For example, computers and laptops existed as far back as I could remember and I had been using it since. It was part of my lifestyle and I was used to it. At the same time, some people from the older generation would have to lead a different lifestyle and change to adapt to this new technology. Overall, I think that “Digital Life” may have illustrated the sense of change in adults, but it has not taken much consideration into what era we were born.

After watching the two videos with the same melody, the differences between the videos stunned me. Not only were the lyrics varied, the whole setting and equipment used in the videos were different. For example, the microphones in the original song were so old that they are hardly seen nowadays. On the other hand, even though these songs were made in different eras, they still portrayed the same idea: Technology advancement had changed us. The lyrics of “Digital Life” stated that technology had changed the way we do or look at many things. The other song, “Video Killed the Radio Star” suggested that the invention of videos had changed lots of people, who stopped listening to the radio. 

3 comments:

  1. To think that digital life IS who we are-that's a different perspective to look at technology. It does make sense, and I do agree that technology has always been a big part of my life.
    Some of your tenses are not correct, like
    "Technology advancement HAS changed us".
    I don't think the message Buggles was trying to convey was that lots of people stopped listened to the radio. Even now, there are tons of radio stations with lots of people listening in their cars and such.
    It's different how you looked into the literal parts of the videos, but different points of views are good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the idea of technology being part of us. =)
    You were able to state a fact - we were born in the era of technology - which i couldn't argue against = really good =)
    I kindof had a feeling that you were rushing towards the end ... i don't know maybe it was just me =)
    But overall i really like your opinion on this topic, i think it's really creative =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Compare the setting of two videos is a great idea. I also like the way that you think that digital life is who we are. It gave me a feeling that u thought newly and differently.
    However the conclusion gave me a feeling of not finished.
    I agreed with your opinion and i like your way of thinking. It helped me to improve my creativity.

    ReplyDelete