Wednesday, February 20, 2013

"Digital Life" Video Response


“We shape our tools… and then our tools shape us.” – Marshall McLuhan. This quote that is shown in the beginning of the video shows that we make what we find useful, technology, and then these things that we have made change who we are and how we behave. I agree that technology has indeed changed and affected the way we live and how we act on a day to day base.
                In the video it shows that we have a “Digital Life”, something that is extremely useful, but with that, we have come to rely on it too much. I agree with what the video is saying because, with all of the new technological advances, I see that many people now have cell phones and iPods and things that connect them to the digital world. Many of these people who have cell phones are becoming much younger, meaning they create their own “digital profile” much earlier. It also said near the end of the video that people of this time era, are not only humans, we have more less become cyborgs, because of how attached we are to our digital selves.
                In 1992, the internet was created, as was stated in the video. It was also questioned that should all information be “free”? These days, I find myself saying, “I don’t know, how about this, let’s go search it up!” The internet has become such a big hub of information, that it has indeed become “free” information.  Also, I find that because of so many different types of social networking sites, people now have gone onto using “hashtagging” and “tweeting” about all their thoughts. I am no exception to this. I think that online, I am actually more honest and more of my personality comes out while I am posting something to my wall on Facebook. What would happen to meeting up or even just calling your friends over the phone? Most of this has become just messaging, where voice tones are not heard. Because of this, I find it harder to interact with people while I am not at home in front of my computer, or even on my phone or iPod, where no one can see my facial expressions and body language. Also, I find that being away from my phone or iPod for a short period of time can sometimes be a burden, where if I need something from it, I can’t access it right at that moment. In the video, it also says “Distraught when I lose Wi-Fi bars” and “And now I never have a sense of ‘What to do’?” meaning that she has become dependent on both technology and the internet, and would not know what to do without it. Most of us find ourselves on Facebook, playing computer games or just doing something random on the computer or on our phones while we are bored, with nothing to do. Doesn't this show that we don’t have a sense of what to do? Before the internet and computers were created most of us would be reading, playing sports or pursuing our hobbies. But now? Most of us just sit down in front of a screen and stare. 
                 Have we made something that has the ability to change us? In my opinion, yes we have. I believe that technology and our “Digital Life” affects everything that we do, from meeting and talking to friends, what you do when you’re bored, and to how you act in public. 
               

2 comments:

  1. I like how you began with a quote, but please tell us what video you are referring to.
    I've spotted a few grammatical errors that just don't make sense to me, such as
    "Many of these people who have cell phones are becoming much younger,..." (paragraph 2)
    Try altering it a bit, since people don't 'become younger' by possessing a cell phone. Also, I'd like to point out that your third paragraph does present a lot of points, but I don't think you transitioned from each of them very well. It is a bit jumbled, and jumps from point to point very suddenly. My advice would be to split it up to a few separate paragraphs.
    It is nice how you have analyzed many lines from the video context, comparing it to your own life experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like how you begin with the quote from the video, but telling the readers which video it is would have been better =)
    There was this one part "I think that online, I am actually more ......." which sounded a little weird.
    However all other parts i liked =) and I loved how towards the end you mentioned a quote from the video again =)I think it makes your statement much stronger =)
    and it was nice to see you compare your own experience and opinion with the video =)

    ReplyDelete